HG Christie Ltd. is most extensive and oldest real estate company in the Bahamas; offering sales, rentals, appraisals, and property management. The exclusive Bahamas affiliate of the prestigious Christie's International Real Estate Network, HG Christie Ltd. was founded in 1922 by the legendary Sir Harold George Christie. As 'The Trusted Authority in Bahamas Real Estate' our leading brokerage has an incomparable selection of property listings from across the islands inclusive of luxury estates, affordable homes and condos, vacation villas, beachfront and development properties, as well as private islands. With seven offices strategically located throughout the Bahamas in Nassau, Freeport, Governor's Harbour, Eleuthera, Exuma, Marsh Harbour, Hope Town, and Green Turtle Cay, Abaco and a team of HG Christie licensed agents steeped in local knowledge.
From the beginning, H.G. Christie Ltd. has been known as a pioneering force in its field. Sir Harold, along with his brother Frank Holmes Christie, C.B.E., were instrumental in the creation of many of the most celebrated real estate developments in The Bahamas, including Lyford Cay on New Providence, Windermere Island on Eleuthera, Great Harbour Cay in the Berry Islands, and Hawk's Nest Cay and Pigeon Cay in Cat Island. In 1935, Sir Harold played a central role in creating Bahamas Airways, with the aim of facilitating travel and communications between Nassau and his beloved Out Islands. Until his death in 1973, Sir Harold, whose work was recognised with a C.B.E. in 1949 and Knighthood in 1964, was a tireless promoter of the many islands that made up his native country.
Following Frank Christie's death in 1978, his nephew, William McP. (Peter) Christie, J.P., a prominent member of the Bahamas Bar became President of the company. Peter had been the firm's principal real estate attorney since 1951, assisting in the purchase of all of its major properties. His area of expertise was researching and establishing titles for land - no easy feat in the many places where, for many years, record keeping was poor or non-existent. Peter's work required spending prolonged periods in the Out Islands, especially in Eleuthera and Cat Island, where the family firm owned more than 2,000 acres. In 1991, Peter chose to retire from the prestigious law firm of Higgs and Johnson to manage H.G. Christie Ltd. full time. Two years later, his son, John who had spent much of his childhood travelling with his father throughout the Family Islands, joined the firm as Vice President. In 1997, Peter's daughter, Cara, also joined the company, heading the Rental Department.
John's first order of business was to computerise the office and update all of the technology being used by its staff. An earlyÂ believer in the power of the Internet, he set out to create a website for the company and, in 1995, H.G. Christie Ltd. became the first local real estate firm to go online. For several years, its site was the only one of its kind to be interactive - offering an accessible database of listings.
Today, HGChristie.com has more than 3,300 listings and is updated daily. It has become a crucial component of the company's business, and is Web 2.0 oriented, featuring Google Maps, downloadable brochures, and virtual property tours.
Peter, John, and Cara are proud to be continuing the company's traditions of innovation and integrity into the 21st century. Their current focus is providing professional real estate service including appraisals and property management, high-quality marketing materials, and interactive and innovative ways to promote exclusive listings.