A superb Grade II* Listed Jacobean house described by Hasted c1780 as having "the size and stateliness, full sufficient for a gentleman’s residence"
Entrance hall | Reception hall | Drawing room | Morning room | Dining room | Sitting room | Parlour | Kitchen | 8 Bedrooms (6 with en-suite bathrooms) | Family bathroom | Store rooms | Extensive ground floor, formerly used as a dance area with bar and beer cellars | Stable block (in need of improvement) | About 11,500 sq ft in total
Gardens and grounds with river frontage and island
In all about 6.3 acres
Bridge Place is listed Grade II*.
The Manor of Blackmansbury, alias Bridge, belonged to St Augustine’s Abbey until the dissolution of the monasteries. It came into the ownership of Henry VIII and was granted to Henry Lawrence. It remained in that family until 1638, when it was sold to the Dutchman, Sir Arnold Braems. He became the first manager of Dover Harbour Board and had the magnificent house built, being nine bays wide by seven deep around a courtyard. Hasted describes it as "a spacious and magnificent mansion", which was renamed Bridge Place in about 1650.
The property has subsequently changed hands on only a small number of occasions and has now been in the same ownership for many years.
Currently used as a private country club and suitable for a boutique hotel (subject to planning consent), the house has magnificent period detailing and retains a wealth of interesting features, both inside and out, and now offers great potential for an incoming purchaser. Bridge Place provides a fine canvas from which to recreate a magnificent family home in a very convenient position.
An oak panelled front door opens to the panelled entrance hall. Double oak doors lead to the reception hall, panelled with ornate scrolling - from here the principal reception rooms are accessed. These are magnificently detailed rooms with deep sash windows overlooking the garden to the front. An inner hall has stairs down to the lower ground floor.
From the reception hall a magnificent Jacobean oak staircase leads up to the first floor. At the end of the hall steps lead to a delightful beamed sitting room which has pleasant views over the rear and the river beyond. Also from the reception hall stairs lead down to a further reception room, currently used as a dining room, and then through to the kitchen beyond.
The principal staircase is a magnificent period feature and leads up to the first floor where there are four bedrooms, three with en-suite bathrooms and the fourth having an adjoining bathroom. Three of these rooms are quite magnificent, one with a beautifully ornate plaster ceiling and the two principal rooms to the front with superb fishtailing cornice and decorative mouldings dated 1638. A Jacobean staircase then rises to the second floor where there are four further bedrooms, three with en-suite bathrooms.
From the ground floor inner hall, a secondary staircase leads down to the lower ground floor, which is extensively equipped as a private country club with a large bar/reception area and a lower dance floor area with adjacent ladies and gents lavatories and storerooms, etc.
Bridge Place is set in extensive gardens and grounds. The house is approached over a long avenue with a central driveway, which culminates in a parking and turning area to the front of the house. The main driveway continues beyond the house and exits to the rear into Bridge village. A branch of the driveway leads to the rear of the house and a bridge leads to the island where the stable block is located.
The grounds are extensively planted with trees and benefit from the Nailbourne, which meanders through the grounds and surrounds the island. The riverside aspect of the house has delightful vistas over adjoining country and to the front of the house similar park land vistas can be enjoyed.
To the front of the house is an extensive area of lawn with open views towards the Downs beyond.