THE HENRY SPRAGUE HOUSE Sutton Square is an enclave of 14 beautiful townhouses facing a manicured communal garden on the East River. The square became fashionable in 1920 when Anne Vanderbilt and Anne Morgan, the daughter of J.P. Morgan, built townhouses there.
The most exquisite of these houses is number Four Sutton Square. Originally built in 1921 for inventor Henry Sprague, it was later owned by Elizabeth Arden and lived in by the grandson of J.P. Morgan. Number 16 Sutton Square was the former residence of Aristotle Onassis.
Four Sutton Square was extensively and sensitively restored and renovated (both the interior and exterior) by renowned architect Daniel Romualdez between 2005 and 2008. The result is a house of exquisite taste and uncompromising quality. The 17-foot-wide townhouse has floor to ceiling windows on three sides, flooding the rooms with natural light.
From the main entry a hallway leads to the curved circular stair surrounded by hand rubbed Venetian plaster walls. The service entry leads to a chef's kitchen. A butler's pantry, with custom cabinetry and polished granite counter tops connects the kitchen to the formal dining room. The formal dining room is filled with light from two western windows and two southern windows as well as French doors which open onto the rear garden and the impeccably landscaped communal garden.
On the parlor floor, high ceilings and eleven windows span the north, west and south sides of the house. The French polished wood paneled library has custom cabinetry, custom sound system and a wood burning fireplace. The living room has hand rubbed Venetian plaster walls, custom sound system, a wood burning fireplace and floor to ceiling bowed windows overlooking the communal garden and the East River.
The third floor is devoted to the master bedroom suite. The unique Art Deco inspired master bathroom includes a wood burning fireplace, mirrored walls and ceiling with polished nickel trim, polished granite floors and custom sound system. The master dressing room contains walls of custom designed mirrored closets with cashmere lined French polished drawers. The master bedroom has a wood burning fireplace; hand rubbed Venetian plaster walls and a bowed window overlooking the communal garden and the East River.
The fourth floor offers two bedrooms with cashmere covered walls and mirror and polished nickel bathrooms. The south bedroom has a wood burning fireplace.
The fifth and sixth floors contain an extraordinary two story mahogany paneled sitting room. The room includes a wood burning fireplace, hidden projector and projection screen and surround sound speakers. French doors lead to north and south terraces.
The basement floor includes a laundry room and storage rooms, access to the wood paneled elevator that services all the floors as well as a locker room and half bath for staff.
The house is completely furnished including D. Porthault table linens and Frette bed linens.
Available for a minimum rental period of 12 months.