MAJOR PRICE REDUCTION ALSO AVAILABLE FOR RENT AT $65,000/MONTH. This superb 25' 7'' Landmark Mansion, comprising over 12,000 square feet, represents an exceptionally fine example of the work of Mott B. Schmidt, the great American architect whose commissions epitomized the best of Georgian style. Built in 1928, this beautiful and refined townhouse is successfully patterned on a London Mayfair townhouse: the impressive neo-federal facade with Georgian elements is clad in red-brick with limestone ornamentation and cornice, delicate wrought iron grillwork, windows flanked by wooden shutters and a Corinthian-columned portico with full entablature.
The Trevor House contains the finest extant interiors of any Schmidt commission with the grandly scaled major rooms, including the drawing room, formal dining room and large marble reception room with colonnade, following decorative themes based on the work of Robert Adam, with plaster-relief executed by C. P. Jannewein. There are two impressive curved staircases with attractive wrought iron balustrades with gold gilting and mahogany banisters, an English 18th Century knotty pine paneled library; six-panel mahogany doors and six Adam style wood-burning fireplaces with antique marble mantels.
The current owners have undertaken a years-long restoration and renovation, brilliantly incorporating modern elements including a magical atrium on the 5th floor which floods light into the house and houses a large gym with sauna, steam shower, full bathroom and access to a most appealing south-facing terrace. The massive and perfectly conceived new kitchen with wall of glass windows onto the terrace has the feel of a luxury loft space with warm wood floors contrasting with the custom designed white Siematic cabinetry with ceasarstone quartz counters and fine appliances. There are five bedrooms, including two master suites with ample custom-fitted closets, three powder rooms and five bathrooms, all beautifully appointed.
This extraordinary house represents a rare opportunity to acquire a uniquely special property, one of the most admired on the Upper East Side, in the heart of Carnegie Hill, a stone's throw from Central Park.