About Friuli - 108-HA WINE ESTATE, PROSECCO VINEYARDS FOR SALE
On the banks of the Tagliamento river, in the countryside of Friuli-Venezia Giulia, 108-hectare wine estate with Agriturismo and Prosecco vineyards. The hamlet boasts, among the others, a beautiful manor villa, a Gastaldia and a Barchessa for a total of 30+ bedrooms for the guests. The agricultural portion offers 19.4 ha of vineyards and 29.9 ha of land used for rooted and grafted vines. On the banks of the Tagliamento river, in the province of Pordenone in Friuli-Venezia Giulia, we can find this beautiful 108-hectare wine estate. A beautiful 18th-century manor villa is the heart of the property and currently hosts a high-level accommodation business. Land is cultivated with vineyards (19.4 ha of Prosecco) and arable land (45.8 ha), while the currently-rented-out portion houses a field with grafted and rooted vines (29.9 ha). It is also important to note how the property is located not far from one of the few bridges crossing the Tagliamento river: up until the 1970s it was strictly forbidden to build on “areas of military significance” and Tagliamento, thanks to its expanse (over 2 km in certain spots), constituted an excellent defensive line against potential invading forces coming from the East. The location of the property is extremely convenient, not far from a small town providing all the necessary services (3km; 5’) and allows easily reaching several cities and landmarks in Northern Italy: the golden beaches of Lignano Sabbiadoro (29km; 30’), the fortified city of Palmanova with its peculiar geometric shape (34km; 35’), Udine (36km; 40’), Pordenone (39km; 40’), the beautiful Aquileia (51km; 50’), Redipuglia with the impressive military memorial monument honoring the Italian soldiers who fell fighting World War I (52km; 50’), Jesolo (58km; 1h), Gorizia (65km; 1h), Vittorio Veneto, where the Royal Italian Army finally defeated the Austro-Hungarian Imperial forces in 1918 (77km; 55’), Kobarid just beyond the Slovenian border (81km; 1h 25’), Trieste (87km; 1h 20’), the unique and unrivaled city of Venice (88km; 1h 10’) and Belluno (110km; 1h 20’). The most convenient airports to reach the property are Trieste Ronchi dei Legionari (52km; 45’), Venezia Marco Polo (77km; 1h), Verona Catullo (201km; 2h 5’), Bergamo Orio al Serio (299km; 3h), Milano Linate (331km; 3h 20’) and Milano Malpensa (383km; 3h 50’). THE MAIN HAMLET The manor villa A1 (527 sqm – 5,671 sqft, 3 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms) is an elegant historic dwelling, finely restored to preserve its 17th-century look. The first known image of the villa is on a map (1766) while a painting from 1803 shows the villa already in its current shape. The building boasts a white façade with rectangular windows at the first floor and a double staircase leading to the arched main doorway. In the first year of the 20th century the villa underwent a restoration which led to the replacement of al the doors and windows, plus a noticeable lowering of the ceiling of the main hall (roughly 40 cm – 1.3 feet). These works started in 2003 and allowed discovering an older portion of the building, probably a 15th-century tower. Paintings have been carefully restored and all the systems have been updated and replaced where needed. - Ground floor: ample event halls with bathrooms and professional kitchen. The rooms can easily be used for various events (meetings, summits, congresses and weddings) thanks to the ample size and the many configurations possible for the equipments. The eastern wing houses the bathrooms for the guests and several rooms for the staff (bathroom and dressing room). Paintings on the wall are works by Ciro Cristofoletti (1960s). - First floor: ample central room with 18th-century decorations leading into a warm sitting room and a library. The western wing houses more catering rooms with kitchen and bathroom. In the eastern wing we have three double bedrooms and two bathrooms. - Second floor: ample loft. The rooms of the villa are decorated with late-Baroque-style frescoes and paintings: we have floral motives and fake curtains, plaster molds and trompe-l’œil architectures. The many doors are all contoured by painted friezes. The chapel A2 (85 sqm – 915 sqft), dedicated to the saints Pietro and Paolo and dating back to the 15th century, is still consecrated and can provide up to 40 seats. The building has a single nave and still boasts many of its original features, mainly in the apsis (with ribbed vault) and on the southern wall where one can see a beautiful fresco of 1511 and a beautiful 15th-century wooden crucifix. The restoration of 1930s opened a round window on the façade and expanded the main door. On the eastern wall, a blind archway hosts a lion statue carved out of Istrian stone (dated to 1506 thanks to the writing found on the base) and dug up during works near a no-longer-existing bridge. The Gastaldia B1 (331 sqm – 3,562 sqft, 13 bedrooms and 15 bathrooms) is a long three-story building closing the garden to the east and is the result of the unification of several building in the first year of the 19th century. The restoration of 2006 and 2007 transformed the building into a guesthouse. The building maintained its very regular Neoclassical look with the exception of a rectangular door opened in the 1960s. Inside, the building still boasts the wooden beams on the lower floors and the wooden trusses on the upper ones. Particularly interesting is a marble band at the second floor where one can still see the inventory of grain sacks delivered to the building in specific dates. - Ground floor: entrance hall, ample storage room, technical room and two bedrooms with en-suite bathroom; - First floor: breakfast room with bathroom and two bedrooms with en-suite bathroom; - Second floor: seven bedrooms with en-suite bathroom. The wardens’ apartment lies at the southern side of the building, laid between ground and first floor and made up of entrance hall, living room, kitchen, laundry room, closet, two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The Barchessa B2 (331 sqm – 3,562 sqft, 1 bedroom and 3 bathrooms) is located right in fron of the manor villa, on the opposite side of the Italian garden. The southward exposure is typical of Venetian barchessa, as stated by Andrea Palladio in its work Quattro libri dell’Architettura (1570), so that hay could stay dry. The building is built, following the tradition, around a central portico which can easily hosts tables and chairs for events. The western side of the building is made up of a storage room with bathroom, while the eastern side hosts a three-story dovecote: - Ground floor: kitchen with portico and technical room; - First floor: living room and bathroom; - Second floor: bedroom with en-suite bathroom. The building was fully restored between 2005 and 2006 and fitted with the beautiful swimming pool. The building D (94 sqm – 1,011 sqft) houses the pool systems, located not far from the park of the villa. The building E was an 18th-century house which was expanded in the 1960s with a portico. The building has been demolished and its volume (roughly 3,000 cu.m) could be used to build other structures. The building F (406 sqm – 4,369 sqft) is an ample residence located just behind the chapel and the Gastaldia. The building H (292 sqm – 3,142 sqft) was originally used as a stable and barn and is nowadays in bad conditions. The building was once connected to building F by stone archway. The building I (138 sqm – 1485 sqft, 4 bedrooms and 1 bathroom) is a residential building located east, next to the barn H: - Ground floor: entrance hall, dining room, closet, living room, kitchen, bathroom and cellar; - First floor: hallway leading to four bedrooms; - Second floor: ample loft. Three huge stables M N O (3,500 sqm – 37,660 sqft in total) are located in the eastern side of the hamlet. At the moment, the buildings are not used but they could easily be exploited to breed horses once again, since there is more than enough plain land for the animals. Alternatively, one could recover further volume by demolishing the stables and build other buildings in the estate. The building P (496 sqm – 5,337 sqft) is currently used as a shelter for agricultural vehicles used to work the land of the property. The complex is finally completed by four building used as warehouses/storage rooms C L Q R (593 sqm – 6,381 sqft) and a barn G (141 sqm – 1,517 sqft) partially restored in 2009. THE RURAL PODERE Separated from the main complex is a second hamlet made up of four buildings. The building T (103 sqm – 1,108 sqft) is an 8-room warehouse, currently in mediocre conditions and needing interventions. The building U (710 sqm – 7,640 sqft, 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms) is the amplest structure of the complex and is made up of an ample storage room in the western side of the building (289 sqm – 3,110 sqft, ground and first floor) and two ample apartments. The building is currently unused and needs several restoration works to become habitable once again. - Apartment N°1 (129 sqm – 1,388 sqft, ground and first floor): cellar, living room, studio, two bedrooms and bathroom; - Apartment N°2 (153 sqm – 1,646 sqft, ground and first floor): living room, kitchen, three bedrooms and bathroom. The second floor of the building is entirely used as an ample storage room (139 sqm – 1,496 sqft). The building V (176 sqm – 1,894 sqft, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms) is a two-story farmhouse, currently in bad conditions and organized as such: - Ground floor: entrance room, living room, kitchen, bathroom and closet; - First floor: closet, hallway, three bedrooms and bathroom. The building Z (461 sqm – 4,960 sqft, 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms) is an ample residential structure organized on three floors: - Ground floor: entrance room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom, closets and cellars; - First floor: five bedrooms and bathroom; - Second floors: ample loft, previously used as a barn. THE OLD MILL In a defiladed position from the two other hamlets we can find an old watermill (115 sqm – 1,237 sqft). The building, probably dating back to the early 16th century, was expanded in the 18th century with a house (recognizable by the single-pitch roof). The mill still hosts the original machinery and boasts several features which highlight its historic nature (stone archways and huge stone blocks used to protect the building against the water of the river). The outside walls still have holes for the wheel hub. On the first floor, several rooms were used in the past by the miller as a residence. Right next to the mill is located a two-story barn (78 sqm – 839 sqft) which needs a full restoration. EXTERNAL AREA The estate spans roughly 108 hectares of land (266.9 acres). The most interesting portion of the property is with no doubt the Prosecco vineyard (19.4 ha) which allows producing each year approximately 3,640 quintals of grapes. 53.4 ha of arable land are partially cultivated with corn (23.2 ha), sorghum (9.4 ha) and alfalfa (4.1 ha). The last portion is woodland (1.8 ha). Further 29.9 hectares are currently rented out and host a training ground for rooted vines (17.7 ha, barbatelle) and grafted vines (12.2 ha, piante madri). The remaining surface constitutes the main hamlet. Here we find roughly 3,000 sqm of Italian garden (0.7 acres) decorated with hedges, fountains and graveled walkways, all located in front of the villa and around the swimming pool. Behind the Barchessa, amidst the green garden, we can find the 14 × 8 m pool of the complex. USE AND POTENTIAL USES The estate is currently run as an accommodation business, thanks to the many bedrooms and available, and is the ideal location for events like weddings, meeting and summits. The vineyard is currently productive and the harvested grapes allow producing an excellent sparkling wine (Prosecco). What’s more, the many buildings of the estate could be renovated and restored to further increase the number of available bedrooms for guests. The vineyards in the property could also be used as a workshop for the guests, allowing them to learn how vineyards are cared for and wine is made. The same goes for the old mill, which still houses the original machinery (exception made for the water wheel): the building could be restored and converted into a museum celebrating the countryside life of Friuli-Venezia Giulia.