Todi, Itália

3.900.000 €EUR
 Pedir Direções


GEOGRAPHIC POSITIONIn Umbria, in the province of Perugia, only 2.5 km from the historic centre of a stunning medieval town, former Franciscan convent with church, land and pool for sale.The convent is located in a hilly and panoramic position, gets good sun exposure and enjoys excellent privacy.One can enter the property from two different entrances, which lead to a parking area and another large area. Perugia Santrsquo;Egidio airport is approx. forty minutes away, while Roma Ciampino airport and Roma Fiumicino airport can be reached in one hour and forty minutes.DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDINGSThe convent is made up of several buildings, all connected with each other but potentially independent thanks to the numerous doors that can be closed. In particular we have a manor villa, a second villa and a section entirely used for the hosting business and split into three independent apartments.The manor villa is laid out onto five floors:- Basement: cellar rooms;- Ground floor: long hallway, studio with bathroom, ample living room with fireplace and frescoes (an ancient refectory) with access onto the panoramic terrace, fine dining room, kitchen with service room, laundry and a covered terrace linked to the pantry.- First floor: landing, 2 bedrooms, bathroom and library;- Second floor: bedroom with en-suite bathroom and terrace, 2 bedrooms with balcony and shared bathroom, 2 bedrooms, bathroom and living room with balcony.- Third floor: bedroom with terrace.The second villa is laid out onto three floors and made up as follows:- Basement: tavern and storage room;- Ground floor: sumptuous living room/dining room with fireplace, 2 comfortable twin bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen with fireplace, ample living room and private park.- First floor: ample bedroom, bathroom, balcony and studio.Three apartments, all reserved for the hosting business, overlook the garden and have independent access:- Apartment Ndeg;1: double access, kitchen, open space living room, bathroom, 2 bedrooms and terrace; - Apartment Ndeg;2: open space kitchen, living room with fireplace, 2 bedrooms and bathroom;- Apartment Ndeg;3: ample living room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, bathroom and balcony.The beautiful church boasts an original choir, perfectly restored and fully working.Other than garage, boiler room and firewood storage, the basement includes the keeperrsquo;s apartment, accessible from the front and including a kitchen, a studio, a bathroom and a bedroom with en-suite bathroom.HISTORY OF THE PROPERTYThe monastery here described is part of a series of religious structures built between the 10th and 11th century along the Tiber. These smaller shrineswere a fundamental part of the main pilgrimage routes, such as the ones to Santiago de Compostela and Roma.The area was already inhabited during the Roman age, as testified by the remains of a temple and the retrieval of bronze statues and marble capitals. During the Middle Ages numerous complexes were built and we know that during the 10th century they were owned by the San Leuciorsquo;s abbey.On October 11, 1051 the pope Leo IX confirmed to San Leucio the possession of omnia in civitate vel foris monasterium pertinentia (all the properties in the city and outside owned by the monastery) and granted the right to chose the abbot even without the approval of the pope.The abbey had potestas et imperium over a series of subordinate convents and on March 20, 1145 the pope Eugene III confirmed the apostolica protectione to the complex. In 1177 the German emperor Frederick I Barbarossa conferred a similar privilege to the abbey (trying to affirm his right of investiture over Italian feuds).With the seal by Innocent III dated October 13, 1207 the apostolic protection was confirmed again and for the first time the monastery of the listing is clearly mentioned through its master Egidius of S.J. de Cuti.The monastery was part of the Premonstratensian Benedictines running San Leucio, one of the abbeys ruling one of the circarias instituted by Saint Norbert in Italy after 1120.On January 3, 1236 the bishop Boniface gifted the Roman Church a locum qui dicitur Mons Mascaranum situm prope Tudertum (a place called Mount Mascarano located near Todi) for the construction of a monastery to be owned by the Franciscan Clarissae (the Convento di Montesanto).The dramatic events of the 14th century, among which wars and the devastating Back Death of 1348, forced the nuns to flee the abbey to seek refuge in the city.In 1355, the Convent of S.J.was used as a refuge by a small group of Cistercian monks. In 1404 Nicolograve; Offreduzzi restored the complex and give it back to the Order of Friars Minor.From that moment onward, the monastery was object of several economical donations which allowed the building to flourish.In 1448, after a mass, it was said the monastery of S.J.was no longer a locum sanum (safe place) for the great number of monks living there, a condition which imposed frequent works to keep the building in a good shape. It was then requested the acquisition of the nearby Convento di Montesanto (abandoned and partially ruined).In 1810 the monastery was seized following the application of the Napoleonic laws and the building was pillaged and damaged by French troops. The church was restored a fundamentis only in 1848.The last and ultimate requisition took place in 1860, just after the annexation of Umbria to the Kingdom of Italy and since then the monastery was abandoned for almost sixty years before being purchased by a private individual who fully restored the building.STATE AND FINISHESThe property was restored some years ago, it is in excellent condition and the roof is new.The convent, combining historic charm with the most up-to date facilities, features wonderful rooms, vaulted ceilings, ceilings with wooden beams and terracotta tiles, frescoes, one internal cloister, courtyards, modern and bright bathrooms, numerous balconies and terraces. The main fireplace, the frescoes and the sundial are original.EXTERNAL AREAAll the 8 hectares of land are surrounded by a perfectly restored wall. The property has a wonderful internal cloister, a terraced garden with panoramic view, a well, vegetable garden, olive grove and a not very large pool, but there is the possibility to build an infinity pool.USE AND POTENTIAL USESThree apartments and a villa are currently being rented out, while the main villa is being inhabited by the current owners. Given its size and its internal layout, the property can be used as luxury main home, second home and tourist accommodation, moreover it is possible to host friends and relatives.
Advertiser Logo
Anghiari, Arezzo, 52031 Italy
Alterar Moeda
Price / Sq. Ft.:
$489 /
3.900.000 €EUR
default currency
Price / Sq. Ft.:
396 €
9,838.3 pé²