As you first drive through the beautiful driveway, enclosed by trees, we approach Schaloen Castle in Oud Valkenburg then by crossing a small bridge, we then arrive upon the island where Schaloen Castle is built upon. The total land is approximately 10,000 m2 large. Schaloen Castle stands between two other castles, Castle East and Castle Genhoes. These three castles are located in a 400-hectare protected nature reserve.
The inside of the castle has been beautifully restored. Behind the castle flows the fastest river of the Netherlands, the Geul, these channels show the beautiful landscape and the historic meandering of the river. The exquisite garden around the castle is beautiful, the bridges and walls have been completely rebuilt and restored. The added contraction, gatehouse, barn and all attachments surrounding building can be purchased separately. As you first drive through the beautiful driveway, enclosed by trees, we approach Schaloen Castle in Oud Valkenburg then by crossing a small bridge, we then arrive upon the island where Schaloen Castle is built upon. The total land is approximately 10,000 m2 large. Schaloen Castle stands between two other castles, Castle East and Castle Genhoes. These three castles are located in a 400-hectare protected nature reserve.
The inside of the castle has been beautifully restored. Behind the castle flows the fastest river of the Netherlands, the Geul, these channels show the beautiful landscape and the historic meandering of the river. The exquisite garden around the castle is beautiful, the bridges and walls have been completely rebuilt and restored. The added contraction, gatehouse, barn and all attachments surrounding building can be purchased separately.
History Around the year 1200, Schaloen Castle was built as a defensive fortress on behalf of the van Hulsberg family. Unfortunately, little is known about Schaloen's castle history. However, the remains can still be seen in the vaults of the current castle. Schaloen was an almost square building with two massive buttresses at each corner and an arkel tower in the roof. Around the roof, which stood in a tent shape within the walls, was a walkway, where the soldiers watched over the safety of the castle residents and their guests. In order to protect the soldiers from shelling from the outside, a wall of reference was erected. Blowholes in this wall ensured that the soldiers could defend themselves from the inside. The outbuildings of the original castle were on the right side of the main building. From there a bridge over the marshy moat gave access to the 'island' of Schaloen. When the bridge was removed, the swamp formed an excellent line of defence. The walls of the castle in its first form are more than two metres thick and built of basalt stones. The doors were made of ten centimetres thick solid oak. This made the castle an almost impregnable fortress. Nevertheless, in 1575 the castle was almost completely burnt down by the violence of war. The rebuilding of the castle was completed in 1656, as can be seen from the date formed by the wall anchors in the then completed left-hand construction. From the original construction around 1200, only the walls and two arrow towers remained. As the corridors were no longer rebuilt, there was no longer any question of a defensive fortress. From then on, the castle was often described as the "Lusthof" Schaloen. The outbuildings were omitted when the castle was rebuilt in 1656. But the lord needed personnel, workspace and storage sheds, so the outbuildings on the left side of the castle were erected. In 1701 (this can also be seen in the wall anchors) a blacksmith's shop and a workshop were built. In 1718 the beautiful gate building and the current access bridge followed and in 1721 a gardener's house and a carpenter's house were completed, as well as a covered storage facility for the carriages. In 1727 another building was added, the Tenth Barn. Here the tenants of the Schaloen estate had to pay tens of thousands of euros. One tenth of the proceeds of the lands had to be paid to the mighty lord of the castle. An early form of taxation. Where in the past poverty had to be surrendered, you can now enjoy your holiday richly. The tenth building houses beautiful hotel rooms.
Residents The entire area up to Valkenburg, as well as the lands in front of and to the right of the castle once belonged to Schaloen. Even the castle Valkenburg, the present ruin, which due to its location high above all still has the mighty appearance of yesteryear, belonged to the van Hulsberg family from 1798 to 1918. At the end of the 19th century, Count Villers-Masbourg d'Eclaye, who became a member of the van Hulsberg family through his marriage, commissioned an architect to give the castle a new look. The renovation was completed in 1894. The castle became a feast for the eyes and has remained so to this day. The van Hulsberg family lived in the castle until 1934. During the Second World War Schaloen was also attractive to the Germans. The result was that the castle was completely plundered and remained uninhabitable. In 1968 the castle was sold for lack of money. After years of further abuse and looting, the current owners, the Bot family, bought the castle and its buildings in 1985.
Year of construction: ca. 1200, 1656 (rebuilt castle), restored since 1985. Plot size: 10,000 m2 Contents: approx. 2762 m3 (10th building), approx. 3696 m3 (economic building), approx. 1134 m3 (gatehouse). Remarks: National monument, provincial monument Destination: living, catering, holiday apartments, hotel
Castle layout The entrance hall is accessible via a side door of the castle. The foyer is equipped with a reception desk, meter cupboard, disabled toilet and toilet rooms on the mezzanine floor. The lounge with stone fireplace, bar and seating areas. The frescoes that can be seen in the lounge, kitchen and dining room attract a lot of attention. Adjacent to the lounge is the tower room, the well is visible through a glass floor plate. Through the lounge we enter the former kitchen of the castle, here are still the original pump and pump tank as well as a monumental refrigerator. The floors in the lounge, tower, kitchen and dining room have oak parquet flooring. The floors in the hall and the kitchen are equipped with baked tiles. Through this former kitchen you can reach the dining vault. Again, the beautiful frescoes against the marl vault visible. In this room are also the traces of the very first staircase visible and possibly the first castle built donjon. Through the dining vault, the kitchen of very high quality and very complete is accessible. Through the emergency exit in this kitchen the front door of the castle is accessible.
Ground floor Through the stone staircase at the front door we reach the 1st hall on the first floor, directly visible are the monumental ornamental ceilings with beautiful edges and a finished marble mosaic floor. On the right side are the entrance doors to the bathroom and the toilet. Through another entrance door of this hall we enter the reception room, this reception room again has a beautiful stucco ceiling with ornaments and mouldings. The walls are equipped with a paneling of wood grain stucco and decorative frames. The white marble fireplace has been beautifully restored. At the back of this reception room there is another natural stone balcony with huge balcony bearers. Through an entrance door in the reception room we enter the "church hall", here is now a bedroom situated. In this bedroom is also the altar with the monumental altar doors on which one door is depicted the angel Gabriel who brings Mary the message that she will give birth to Christ, on the other door is depicted Mary with the opened bible. Adjacent to this bedroom is the bathroom with bath, shower, bidet, toilet and bathroom furniture. The walls and floor are decorated with marble, the shower and the bath are finished with twisted wooden columns and gold stitched curtains. Through the 1st hall we enter the staircase, on the right we reach the former library, here is now the private kitchen located. Again a beautiful stucco ceiling with ornaments and mouldings. In the private kitchen is also a beautiful fireplace, made of pink marble. The walls in this room have a panelling made of stucco and mouldings. The kitchen is made of white plastic finished with white and gold-coloured piping and glassy plastic kitchen worktop and kitchen bar. The kitchen is equipped with refrigerators and freezers. Through the staircase, on the left through double doors we reach the knight's hall, this hall is now used as a living room and has a dominant monumental fireplace in addition to a beautiful oak floor with herringbone edge and corner finish. The fireplace has an oak bosom construction with a gobelin front finish. Around the fireplace is a glass mosaic covered with gold leaf applied. The initials of the restorer (Count Villers de Masbourg) are attached to the ceiling's main beams. The ceiling is made of stucco with ornaments and mouldings. The large windows in the front, top and back give an enormous amount of light. Directly adjacent is the tower room where an office space is currently furnished. The radiators are neatly finished with ornamental panelling. The floors of the tower room, knights' hall, kitchen, reception room and the bedroom are made of oak.
1st floor Through a monumental oak staircase with leather staircase we reach the landing on the second floor. The beautifully crafted glass panels in the doors are also immediately noticeable. On this floor there are three bedrooms and a room. Bedroom 1 is equipped with a marble fireplace with oak wood construction and give this bedroom a chic and beautiful appearance. The bedroom has combined with bedroom 2 a private bathroom and toilet adjacent to both bedrooms. Bedroom 3 is the guest room and has a beautifully finished stucco ceiling with ornaments and mouldings. This bedroom has a romantic shower installed, the original toilet has been restored.
This Schin Op GeulSingle Family Home is for Försäljning and has 5 bedrooms. This Single Family Home is listed on the Christie's International Real Estate website in zipcode 6305AA and it boasts 8,073 Kvadratmeter of interior space on a lot of .19 Acres. See all properties in zipcode 6305AA.